Monday, September 17, 2007

Who in the HELL Cares about OJ?


Ok, as the 20th of September is approaching, I find myself searching for news reports of updates on the Jena 6 controversy. Nothing. Have any idea what I am finding? What's being called a "TOP NEWS STORY?" OJ Simpson. Ok. I understand the OJ story was PRIME news about 10+ years ago, but I thought his 15 minutes of infamy were over. Let's move on to more pressing news shall we?

A friend of mine just brought up the fact that this news coverage about OJ is "conveniently" flooding the news instead of the Jena story - which is a definite distraction. I agree. But in addition, I haven't heard NAN' one of the damn presidential candidates mention the Jena 6 case either. I remember how I felt after Katrina, when President Bush did not directly address the people of New Orleans. How I felt when I saw black people being beaten by the police and noone said anything. How I felt when I heard about the horrible rape/abuse of that West Virginia woman. I feel like screaming. I cannot believe that these stories are not being given more attention. And more importantly, I cannot believe that my fellow black people have no idea what the hell I'm even talking about when I mention these cases in casual conversation. These stories need coverage....attention....they need to be addressed.

Ok, gotta stop ranting and run before I lose my job. But come on people.....wear BLACK on Thursday or DIE! Ok, the ish didn't work when Diddy did it, it probably won't work now, but show some solidarity. Show some pride in your people. Lets stand united on this issue. Tell a friend.

Parting quote: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly." - MLK

No comments: