Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Obama - Clean Sweep! - MD, DC AND VA!

I'll be honest, this morning when I got up from bed, I was pretty confident that Obama would sweep DC and Maryland. But NEVER did I expect for him to win Virginia by such a HUGE margin. I mean 64% of democrats in Virginia (with a state called Lynchburg) ALL feel that a man named "Barack Obama" is the best candidate for the president of the United States of America.

I must say that I'm finally getting that feeling of being a true "American." You know, that feeling I had when I walked on campus at my HBCU. That feeling that you REALLY belong. That you are on a level playing field with everyone else. That feeling of - if you work hard, and stand for the right things - you really can do ANYthing. Serious moment for me.

When I arrived at the polling station today to vote, I was kind of taken aback. It's really difficult for me to put into words how I actually felt when I saw Barack Obama's name on the ballot. It actually shocked me how emotional that moment was, going to vote for this man who has over the course of these past few months, has inspired so many (including myself). How he can, in the face of all odds, and in the midst of extraordinary criticism and cynicism continue to SWEEP all these states is just outrageous. I LOVE IT! He and Michelle (we're on a first name basis) are the epitome of who I want to be. Successful, intelligent, ambitious, idealistic, confident, proactive, and community focused - not to mention grounded in God with a central focus on family. What an honor it will be to have them leading our country.

I happened to find Michelle's interview with Larry King on Youtube, and thought I'd share. Luvs it! She's definitely no Laura bush (who I strongly believe is a Stepford Wife).

(Delegates - Obama - 1215 Clinton - 1190)



I love how she answered the question about whether she's ready for the pressure of being the first black first lady. She said "Hey, I am who I am." I loved it.

No comments: